Cingular 3G


Feedsee 3G : Cingular 3G : Access e-mail, browse the Web, watch video, and use applications through mobile wireless broadband network

In 2006, Cingular 3G not only offered advanced wireless services, such as viewing video clips, it enhanced existing services by making them run faster. Customers could download a game or ringtone, or access e-mail, in a fraction of the time it used to take. Cingular customers using a 3G handset could access all the company's data services whenever they were connected to the Cingular network. Cingular's 3G network provided average download data speeds between 400 and 700 kilobits per second with bursts to over one megabit. The company provided 3G services in more than 115 cities and towns located nearby more than 52 major metropolitan markets. In areas where the 3G network was not available, customers would automatically receive service on the company's EDGE network. The Cingular EDGE network was available in more than 13,000 cities and towns and in areas along 40,000 miles of highways, providing average data speeds up to 135 Kbps.

Story of Cingular

Cingular Wireless was originally a joint venture between SBC Communications and BellSouth, formed in 2000. It became the largest wireless carrier in the United States after acquiring AT&T Wireless in 2004. In 2005, SBC Communications acquired the original AT&T Corporation and changed its own name to AT&T Inc. to take advantage of the AT&T brand. Following this, AT&T Inc. owned 60% of Cingular Wireless while BellSouth owned the remaining 40%. In December 2006, AT&T Inc. announced it would acquire BellSouth, including its stake in Cingular. Upon completion of this acquisition in late 2006, Cingular came under the full ownership of the new AT&T. In January 2007, AT&T Inc. announced that it would phase out the Cingular brand and rebrand Cingular Wireless as AT&T Mobility. The transition was completed by mid-2007, effectively marking the end of the Cingular brand and its full absorption into AT&T.

EDGE network

EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution) network, often referred to as 2.75G, is a mobile communication standard that was developed to enhance the capacity and data rates of GSM networks. EDGE serves as a transition technology between 2G and 3G networks, offering improved data transmission rates compared to its predecessor, GPRS. It achieves this improvement through sophisticated modulation techniques. In terms of data speed, EDGE networks can support download rates of up to 236.8 kbps under ideal conditions, a significant enhancement over GPRS. This allows for smoother internet browsing, streaming of audio and video, and downloading of data on mobile devices. While EDGE doesn't provide the same data rates as 3G or 4G networks, it has played a vital role in areas where higher-speed mobile data networks are not available, providing a bridge to the mobile internet.